26.12.11

Emotional Intelligence

I'm sometimes confused by the above term with sensitivity with words or openness or straight forward......

There are many times I don't get why and how people can say things out from their mouth that can pierce right through one's heart. And here, I mean to your friends or families member. These are also lines my mum will tell me that "ni/ta shou hua hen 毒".

I think it's important for one to learn how to manage their words, moods and behaviors according to situation, and tone. When we were younger, we may have the tendency to be rude or rebellious. We say things to hurt people on purpose or to show people that "eh, I'm cool k". But as we grow, don't you begin to think that such words/actions are unnecessary? It's probably okay or better to say for fun, in a jokingly manner instead of a harsh and aggressive tone. There's a huge difference. 

I can quote an example easily... Person A likes to emphasize/scold that I'm a stupid university student because I don't know this certain news/happenings or whatever I did to make him unhappy in a harsh tone. While it may be because he felt that I don't know enough, or I'm pissing him off, what he doesn't know about it is that his words hurts. I was angry and mad at him of course. These are things/actions I wouldn't learn from him because it's rude and unkind. Why would you want to say things like that to hurt your loved ones or friends? Is it beneficial to you? Does it makes you feel better about yourself?

What I want to stress here is don't say things to people that is plain equivalent to the feelings of telling a blind person to watch how he walk. Not only it's insensitive and makes people think twice about the relationship, it's hurtful.

I guess courtesy, consideration and respect are some important factors that over the years I've learned that it's important for us to keep in mind. Nobody's perfect, I am not, but as long as you try, it will make you a better person :)

This is one of my best takeaway in 2011.

2 comments:

  1. That's so very true!! Noone will ever be perfect, but as long as we try our best not to hurt other people, I think that's good enough :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeahhh!! merry xmas and happy boxing day to you! (:

    ReplyDelete